http://www.charteroaktree.com/farmingtongraveyardtour.html

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for Comparative Titles

When a writer queries an agent, he or she should identify a work or two that an agent can think of as comparative to your work. The work of Alice Hoffman long ago inspired my own writing, though my book is different than her style for sure. I actually began to write a book when I struggled to find more books to read that were in the genre of what I call supernatural women’s fiction. So I wrote the book I wanted to read. In the time since, as I was writing my book, lots of stories have been published that share some element with DISTILLATION. But it seems nothing is really like it. Maybe that is good, maybe that is bad. But here are some books I can recommend or am looking to read that fit somewhere in the genre:




                         



Have you read any of these books? Can you recommend a good
ghost story, a story of past lives, or story with literary witchy magic?


5 comments:

  1. Excellent post for those who are sending out queries...

    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book sounds awesome! And while you don't HAVE to have a comparable title, it's good to be thinking of your readers and the market. I think you have some good ones listed.

    Hopping over from A-Z. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm visiting from the A - Z. I haven't heard of these books but thank you for the recommendations. i haven't read much from that genre so I'll enjoy exploring it.

    Great blog :) Good luck with the challenge!

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post. Comparatives works is tricky because you don't want to go to grandiose (my work is a modern day Lord of the Rings! how would that even work) but you want to sell yourself. I have the Sugar Queen on my to read list. also, I love the images on your blog.

    Good luck with the A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recommend Ghost Story by Peter Straub. It's not women's fiction, but it's so well written--centered on a shape-shifting ghost. I haven't read any of the books on this post, but they look intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

People who comment ROCK!