http://www.charteroaktree.com/farmingtongraveyardtour.html

Thursday, April 5, 2012

E is for Expectation

 


Today I want to write about the rule of rising expectation. The idea is that once you achieve what you have been working towards, say landing a literary agent, the joy of the success is washed away by the the roar of the next hurdle, the next expectation you need to meet. So, first you say, "All I want is to write a novel." Then: "All I want is to get an agent." Then: "All I want is to land a book deal." Then: "All I want is some good reviews." You get the idea.

In some ways, I think this is inevitable, especially for a person who is motivated to succeed. Always we are looking  for what comes next. That is how we get things done. There are other kinds of people who only focus on the task at hand and don't even think to look for what else has to be done in order for general goals to move along. (My husband is a person like this. I say, put the bowls from dinner in the dish washer and run it. So he does, leaving a forest of dirty glasses on the counter. But I digress.) I envy people like this a little, because I am a worrier. I am always fretting over the next stage of things, long before they happen. This is my way to prepare and consider necessary plans of action that need to be taken to ensure success.

But as I work towards getting an agent and hold my breath each day for an email of new import, I hope that I will take the time to enjoy the success of each stage as it happens, if it happens. It is important to stop and smell the peppermint before it bolts and fades. Take time to enjoy a mojito for goodness sakes.

Mmmm...mojito season is coming. More on that later.

5 comments:

  1. I've been guilty of the "I'll be happy when" trap. There is always another hurdle. For writing, I've been through the query qagmire once and it was painful. Now I try to focus on raising the level of my writing for the sheer joy of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That to-do list is never done! I wish I had some blinders too sometimes - sometimes. Because I will often get a type of analysis paralysis because of all the things that have to be done (it is too much to face, I will NEVER do it all), then I break it into easy steps or pieces to take the first step...
    Mmm, mojitos! Those can help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good E- word! I guess it's our human nature to always be looking ahead to the next big thing.

    Nice to meet you and I hope you're enjoying the Challenge.

    KarenG
    A to Z Challenge Host

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true. We're always waiting for the next thing to happen. Good E word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good reminder! This is very true...it helps to remember why we all started on this road in the first place. To write a great story. :)

    ReplyDelete

People who comment ROCK!