DISTILLATION is all about peppermint. Well, it is about a lot more, but everything centers on the essence of peppermint. In the book there is actually a scene where Teddy, my beloved town historian, makes a mojito. I love mojitoes and drink them all summer. So...here is the recipe. Tried and true.
First of all - you must buy freshly picked or - better yet - grow your own -peppermint. I grow peppermint just for this one reason.
- Tall glass with fingers full of peppermint leaves squeezed or shredded into the bottom
- Ice to fill glass 1/2 to 3/4 full
- Bacardi Rum - a shot and a half per drink - depending on how much of a lush you are. Pour the shot+ over the ice.
- Lots of FRESH lime - half to a whole lime per drink - as per your taste. Squeeze the lime over the ice. I like to put the squeezed out lime right in the glass so I can poke it with my straw.
- 1 Tbs Simple Syrup (make in advance)- take a cup of sugar and pour it into a small sauce pan with a cup of water. Heat on medium low stirring occasionally until the sugar and water are completely mixed. Pour into a Ball jar and let cool. Refridgerate and keep for all the mojitoes you can drink. Pour the syrup over the ice.
- Fill the rest of the glass with Tonic water.
- Use a brightly colored straw to crush and stir the whole shebang together and...sip!