http://www.charteroaktree.com/farmingtongraveyardtour.html

Saturday, April 14, 2012

MOJITO - Yay for M

 

DISTILLATION is all about peppermint. Well, it is about a lot more, but everything centers on the essence of peppermint. In the book there is actually a scene where Teddy, my beloved town historian, makes a mojito. I love mojitoes and drink them all summer. So...here is the recipe. Tried and true.

First of all - you must buy freshly picked or - better yet - grow your own -peppermint. I grow peppermint just for this one reason.

  • Tall glass with fingers full of peppermint leaves squeezed or shredded into the bottom
  • Ice to fill glass 1/2 to 3/4 full
  • Bacardi Rum - a shot and a half per drink - depending on how much of a lush you are.  Pour the shot+ over the ice.
  • Lots of FRESH lime - half to a whole lime per drink - as per your taste. Squeeze the lime over the ice. I like to put the squeezed out lime right in the glass so I can poke it with my straw.
  • 1 Tbs Simple Syrup (make in advance)- take a cup of sugar and pour it into a small sauce pan with a cup of water. Heat on medium low stirring occasionally until the sugar and water are completely mixed. Pour into a Ball jar and let cool. Refridgerate and keep for all the mojitoes you can drink. Pour the syrup over the ice.
  • Fill the rest of the glass with Tonic water.
  • Use a brightly colored straw to crush and stir the whole shebang together and...sip!
Lovely.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds fantastic, I'm going to have to try your recipe ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mojitos! I'm pregnant, so I won't get to drink them this summer. A good mojito on a hot day is the only time I miss being able to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!
    All of a sudden my latte is tasting a little bland.
    Time to plant some fresh mint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't had one of this drink before. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Color me minty green for I, too, am a Mojito fan. They're just so refreshing! *hic!* ;-) How long do you reckon the syrup will last in the fridge?

    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete

People who comment ROCK!