http://www.charteroaktree.com/farmingtongraveyardtour.html

Monday, April 23, 2012

Twitter

Are you on Twitter? I have been for about a year now and I have to say I really like it. It is easy to post and easy to follow people. Getting followers is also much easier than Blogger. One of the problems with blogging is that you put so much time into it and then people don't follow. Or people do, but they do in other ways than the Follow button and then you don't really know how many people are following. I try not to dwell on the numbers, but obviously it is something I like, because I like that on Twitter is it easier to garner followers.

The draw back to Twitter is that there are a lot of people who are just trying to sell things- especially their self-published books - which I understand, but still I'd like to hear about the people and their interests too. I alternately leave my feed open or close it to only people I accept as followers. This allows me to decline those who are just trawling.

The other fun thing about Twitter is the focused interest following of political or celebrity personalities. I enjoy seeing Alec Baldwin tween with Mia Farrow about Rosemary's Baby. It makes me feel like I am seeing behind the scenes.

With so many social media outlets, we all have to choose which ones work best for us. Honestly, I started a blog to chronicle my writing journey. If I do "make it," I am thinking an author FB page and a website would be more manageable. And I would keep Twitter, but blogging is like a whole other job and if I had a book published, I would want to focus on the book and not tangential material. I can see why for non-fiction or memoir authors it works well, though.

What are your favorite social media outlets and why? On Twitter? Follow me @AMSwan

2 comments:

  1. I am on twitter a couple of times a week. It is fun, self-promoting, silly and political too. I love reading what Neil Gaiman is up to (he has a huge twitter presence!) and Nathan Fillion along with fellow bloggers and writers. I don't have a smart phone, so I don't keep up with everything, but the little bits I glean are enjoyable. I will follow you :) I am @ocdreader so you recognize your new lurker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find Twitter a waste of time. Mine is short. I'm getting older and I've only got a certain ammount of time to spare. Hehe. Blog on!

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

People who comment ROCK!