http://www.charteroaktree.com/farmingtongraveyardtour.html

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Better than Ever - Big News!!!


Well, it has officially been (just about) a year since I was blogging. After last year's Muse and the Marketplace Conference, I took a hiatus to, among other things, query DISTILLATION  and to see what played out. In that time a lot happened in my life. Good and bad. One of the great things was I threw myself whole-heartedly into teaching this year, which I think has been my best year ever. It was a nice to think about that costume for a while and to stretch my wings. I think in the end I am a better teacher for it and more in love with my day job than I ever thought I could be. I have to admit the new film for Gatsby has helped a lot. But, I am now rounding out another school year with a new perspective, and more than ready to put my writer hat back on.

As it happens, when you are busy paying attention to something else, other things tend to work themselves out. And so...I have news. Big news. I HAVE AN AGENT. I am happy to say that I am now represented by Victoria Lea of the Natalia Aponte Literary Agency. It happened so fast. I sent a query and a month or so later she responded saying she was liking it and asked to know more about me as a writer. A week later, she offered representation. For all of you who I know have waited and struggled and written and rewritten and picked yourself up again and again after each rejection, I don't know what to say, except that when it happens it happens so fast, it leaves you speechless and stunned.

I am ecstatic to have someone on my team. Someone who believes in DISTILLATION, who liked the story and thinks editors will too. It is the next stage and I am ready to get to work. Thank goodness summer is right around the corner.

For those of you not in the writing world, I should explain. As I have told friends and family that I have secured an agent for DISTILLATION, they almost invariably respond with: So when is the book coming out?

It doesn't work that way. In this day and age one needs an agent to approach publishers. Agents are the gate keepers. Most publishers don't even look at a manuscript that is unagented. So...getting an agent is a major step and, for many, that step is a long and difficult process. As I have said before, they are not kidding when they say you need a thick skin and perseverance beyond all reason. Now that I have an agent, editors will take a look. That is one of the amazing things an agent does for a writer, they pitch the book, they share the love. Agents also handle contracts and all the rights to the work, including foreign, digital, and film rights, if such things come up, which often they do in one form or another.

So, from here, my agent will query and send out my book to editors she has relationships with and hopefully one will fall in love with DISTILLATION too. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have two other novels brewing (more on that another time) and one of those I will throw myself into this summer, now that DISTILLATION is in good hands. Although, I will also have to do some more work for that book of course. The real work is just beginning in fact.

I am officially on the agency website, under "Our Authors." This has been the most exciting part so far. My picture is above, but you will have to stop by their site to read the bio. It has been reviewed by my fans as giving an "impish" impression. Which I think is fitting. The whole bio and author photo makes me feel official. I also loved talking with other authors, M.V. Freeman and Debbie Herbert, also represented by Victoria. They made me feel welcome and excited about the whole deal. So check out the agency website when you get a chance and from here on in, I am back, blogging again. Say hello and I'll stop by to see you all soon.

9 comments:

  1. So, it seems the comments were disabled, though I thought they were enabled. Hopefully, it is fixed for everyone now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your book sounds FASCINATING. welcome to the aponte horde.:)

    brynn chapman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome Brynn. Your book looks cool as well. I am so happy to be a part of the horde!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey! I look forward to seeing you around the blogosphere again.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, and welcome to team Aponte Literary! I enjoyed reading about your journey and look forward to learning more about your work.

    Best wishes,

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana. I look forward to checking out your stuff too. Thanks for the welcome. I willbe blogging as much as I can, so stop by again.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! That is amazing news. :) I'm super excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ongratulations! I've been checking the agency website to see if you signed. Can't wait to read Distillation! It was wonderful speaking with you and -- oh how I wish -- I had your name as a pen name for my mermiad books!

    Stay in touch . . .

    Debbie Herbert

    ReplyDelete

People who comment ROCK!