http://www.charteroaktree.com/farmingtongraveyardtour.html

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Garden Time







Yay, it is almost garden time. The smell of damp earth, the caked dirt crammed beneath my finger and toe nails, the aching backs of my legs...wait that doesn't sound so great. Oh, but it is. When the earth is tilled and I tromp bare foot for the first time in a season, I know the true meaning of spring.

Every year my husband and I plant a garden with great expectations. A few years ago we began to focus our efforts and grew mostly a soup garden. Onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, parsley, cilantro, hot peppers, tomatoes, and so much more. Of course there are the obligatory cucumbers and summer squash. They always grow all at once and we have more than we know what to do with. I always loved Garrison Keillor's story about leaving zucchini on the front seat of a parked car. Please take it off my hands!!

Of course, now that we have chickens, the gardening situation is even better. What we don't eat or can't give away we feed to them. Happily they nom nom nom it and then...poop it out again to make excellent fertilizer. Chicken poop really makes things grow. Thanks to them our strawberries and concord grapes are flourishing.

In our yard, we are also lucky to have blueberry bushes, that need some poop this year, and a wicked raspberry patch that does so well and is thankfully controlled by the lawn getting mowed around it. Hint for growing raspberries: plant them out in the open so you can mow around them. It keeps them from taking over everything.

What we don't grow, I get at the local farmer's market (see yesterday's post.) So this is my favorite time of year. Before the weeds begin, before I am cucumber and zucchini-ed out. Before the pumpkins have been eaten by deer. (Yes we also have a pumpkin patch that shares a home with the asparagus patch). The thought of growing my own food, even if it bests me every year in the end, is just the sweetest things about spring and the summer to come.

Do you garden? What are your favorite garden recipes? Have any tips?

4 comments:

  1. Hello, A.M.! Your pictures look lovely and you grow so many delicious fruits and veges! I live in an apartment, so I don't have a garden. When I was a kid, I loved helping my parents in the yard and garden. There's something so magical about being close to the earth and nature and helping her flourish. I look forward to having a garden when my husband and I buy a house some day!!

    Have a great weekend and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I have no green fingers. For that matter, I don't have a garden...

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  3. We planted a little bitty garden last year with only tomatoes and basil. The tomatoes didn't produce much, but the basil was outstanding and we put it in everything. Nom, nom, indeed.

    I would love to put in raspberry and blueberry bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey soul sister - great garden! You are able to plant so much! I am jealous. I was just at my brothers by the beach and they were harvesting romaine lettuce. I think brought 5 lbs home from only one plant. Salad time! :)

    ReplyDelete

People who comment ROCK!